Jenny J. Chang
Brookline, MA 02445
LinkedIn: LinkedIn Profile
A challenging and fun position to help an organization solve complex business and user problems in creative ways by focusing on the end user to design products that work, are fun, easy to use, and profitable. Seek a balance of hands-on, management, and leadership responsibilities.
- Mobile, Web User Experience Design and Direction — Over 15 years of user experience expertise in the technology industry helping both start-ups and Fortune 500 companies to strategize, define, and design web and mobile products and applications.
- Design, Product Management, Entrepreneur — Expertise in leading small to medium sized cross-functional teams in the product development and software development processes.
- Proven design leadership and team-building skills with solid people, personalities, process, and idea management experience.
- Create, build and execute on the product vision with an entrepreneur spirit in an agile start-up environment: team, product, marketing, financials, sales.
- Plan and drive product direction and roadmap. Inspire people to be excited about designs that meet both business and user goals.
- Designer, Problem Solver — Extensive hands-on experience designing digital products from concept to deployment that are data and usability driven and user-centric:
- Information architecture, information design, interaction design, requirements gathering, wireframes, user surveys, personas, task analysis, user needs matrix, use case scenarios, process flows, branding, visual design, proof-of-concept prototypes, usability evaluations and testing, and UI development and documentation.
- Industries: B to B and B to C, Technology and Communications, Media, Social Media, Entertainment, Healthcare, Financial Services, Pharmaceuticals, Publishing, Retail, Facilities Management, Architecture and Construction.
Co-founder, UX Director, Rocket Farm Studios, Cambridge, MA
July 2009 - Present
Mobile Strategy, Design, and Development Consulting Studio for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
- Building a successful, reputable, and profitable start-up. Key stakeholder in marketing, sales, fund raising, operations, and product development.
- Oversee the design and user experience across all Rocket Farm Studios projects. Responsible for and get to have fun with all the usual suspects: Product Strategy, User Experience, information architecture, UI definition, interaction design, usability, requirements and scope, project planning, lead workshops, build stakeholder consensus, and of course successfully launching apps.
- Hire, direct and manage Design Consultants across all Rocket Farm projects and efforts.
User Experience Director, CityVoter, Cambridge, MA
May 2008 – June 2009
A ventured backed start-up technology and software company: CityVoter runs "best of" contests and promotional events for media companies and advertisers. Founded in 2005, CityVoter works with leading media companies such as SF Chronicle, Fox Television, VH1, and more.
- Joined team to own and lead user experience, interaction design, and usability across all web and mobile products. Advanced to be a key decision maker and Manager on product strategy and concepts within a short time to also lead product development that met company vision, product direction, and brand.
- Implemented a Project Management process and responsible for the management all major projects. Integrated a user-centered product development process and led cross-functional teams spanning Business, Engineering, and Creative to meet project goals and deadlines.
- Other notables: Created and executed CityVoter’s first and subsequent external Usability Tests. An advocate for data driven product and design decisions including using Google Analytics and usability test results.
Design Lead and Information Architect Consultant, Fidelity Investments (via Aquent), Boston, MA
September 2007 – May 2008
Financial Services and Investment Management Company.
- Design Lead and Information Architect Consultant for the Fidelity eBusiness Design (FeB Design) Institutional Brokerage division. Provide design innovation and leadership on projects for a new web-based integrated wealth management application, partly built in Flex, responsible for the user experience, information architecture, user interfaces and interactions working closely with Product Managers, Architects, Analysts, and Developers.
- Serve as project team leader and focal point for all design deliverables and tasks: Site maps, wireframes, visual designs, quick prototyping, user scenarios, user task analysis, user goals, UI specifications, and usability testing.
Analysis and Design Manager, Iron Mountain Digital, Boston/Southborough, MA
March 2006 - September 2007
Information protection and storage company offering records management, data protection, and information destruction solutions.
- Managed and led a group of 5 User Experience Designers and Business Analysts responsible for defining and designing the functionality and user experience for Iron Mountain's Archiving/E-Records Management product.
- Crusader for selling, instituting, and evolving a user-centered design (UCD) methodology into our product and software development lifecycle. Liaison between Product Management and Engineering throughout the product development lifecycle to ensure business and user requirements are translated into appropriate design solutions.
- Built, grew and sustained a newly formed Analysis and Design Group within Iron Mountain Digital. Responsible for recruiting, training, performance-based management, career management, resource allocation and budgeting.
Sr. User Experience / User Interface Design Lead, Premiere Global Services, formerly Netspoke, Inc., Woburn, MA
March 2005 - March 2006
Service and technology company offering ‘on-demand’ web and audio conferencing and collaboration.
- Joined Netspoke as an individual contributor to lead, manage, create, and ‘sell’ all aspects of the user experience and UI design initiatives and deliverables for the redesign of the web conferencing product suite.
- Significantly increased efficiency in the product design and development process across multiple office locations and remote contributors by introducing, implementing, and evolving a user-centered design process and UI methodology.
- Played a key role in the integration planning and design of the Netspoke product with the parent company’s product strategies, Premiere Global Services, after the September 2005 acquisition of Netspoke.
Creative Director / Director of the User Experience Design Group, ArcStream Solutions, Boston, MA
July 2002-November 2004
A venture backed business and technology consulting firm.
- Built and managed the User Experience team from the ground up that was instrumental in selling and delivering ArcStream services in Media, Pharmaceutical, Healthcare and Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) industries.
- Sold User Experience Group through proposal contributions, sales presentations and project work that resulted directly in the growth of company revenue and repeat clients.
- Instituted user-centered design (UCD) principles and usability best practices across all projects to ensure project consistency and success. Responsible for the on-time delivery and quality of all User Experience deliverables from strategy to deployment.
- Function in multiple roles as needed: UE Lead, Information Architect and Designer, Interaction Designer, Functional Analyst, Business Analyst, Visual Interface Design Lead, UI Developer.
Sr. Interface Designer, Miller Systems, Boston, MA
Full-service technology consulting company offering engineering, IT consulting and creative services.
- Built and evolved Miller Systems’ interactive web design capabilities. Key player in leading the client’s corporate branding, establishing their online presence, and translating their identity to the web. Mentor and supervisor to junior staff.
- Responsibilities included: driving design presentations, information architecture, information design, interactive design, visual design, technical implementation, and defining graphic style and UI standards.
Web Graphic Designer, Iconomy.com, Cambridge, MA
Start-up venture backed company offering eCommerce technology and creative solutions.
- Designed, developed and managed eCommerce storefronts: site branding, creation of illustrations and animations, defining client specific style guides, and hand-coding HTML.
Freelance Design Consultant, iChang.com, Boston, MA
- Freelance design consultant on digital and print projects: iPhone applications, websites, interactive designs, user interface designs, logo designs and print collateral.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Symmes, Maini & McKee Associates (SMMA), Cambridge, MA
Project Landscape Architect, 1997-1999
- Carol R. Johnson Associates (CRJA), Cambridge, MA
Sr. Landscape Architect, 1994-1997
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
Bachelors of Science in Landscape Architecture, graduated summa cum laude
PORTFOLIO SAMPLES and REFERENCES
Available upon request.